The Sacred Tree of the Aztecs
Sorry not much on the tree so far, and this won't quite get you to the ancient sacred secrets of Copal, but lotsa incense links etc..
Research in progress. Mass quantities of Copal Incense was burned atop the Aztec and Mayan pyramids.
Today it has lost some of its original spirituality, but the Scent of Heaven still lingers in the Heart of Man.
We have one Copal Tree in a botanical garden near here, and I hope to get more info soon.
- Copal, Wiki
- The Art of Mexico
- Animalitos from Oaxaca, Mexico They are made from Copal wood which is native to Oaxaca, Mexico. Web Directory.
- Handcrafted Alebrijes, Oaxaca
Native Scents, Sachets & Resins
Hymenaea courbaril Coubaril, Kerosene Tree, West Indian locust Source: James A. Duke. Langenheim compares the sesquiterpenes of Hymenaea the tongue-in-cheek "kerosene tree" and Copaifera, Calvin's "diesel tree".
- Metaphysical AtmosphereNatural sage, cedar & copal incense, $1.75.
- Native ScentsStick Incense in delightful fragrances: Amazonian (Breuzinho), Cedar, Copal, Sage and Pinon.
- Bent Arrow Emporium - Native Scents Incense Burning these ancient American Indian herbs will purify your dwelling with a beautiful, sacred fragrance. Incense Wands are available in 11 fragrances: Sage/Cedar, Cedar, Copal, Juniper, Pinon, Mystic Nights (rosemary, rose petals, and myrrh), Moonbow (eastern cedar, yerba santa), Lavender, Clear Light (incense cedar, white sage), Eucalyptus, and Yerba Santa.
- Bent Arrow Emporium - Native Scents Smudge Bundles Smudge Bundles are an all-natural ceremonial incenses traditionally burned in Native American rituals, such as sweat lodges. Though not traditional among Native Americans, many believe that the scent of lavender is important while invoking prayers for balance and beauty.
- Aldebaran's IncenseAmber, Bayberry, Blue Rose, Carnation, Copal, Dragon's Blood, Frangi Pani, Frankincense & Myrrh, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Musk, Myrrh, Passion Flower, Patchouly, Rose, Clarey Sage, Sandalwood, Vanilla.
- IncenseSacred Spirit Resins, Gums, Herbal Mixtures. A high vibration temple and altar incense compounded of Frankincense, Myrrh and Benzoin resins.
- Essence of Paradise Incense
- For the SensesAlmond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E, Wild Yam, Aloe Vera, Lecithin, Glycerine, Beeswax, Styrax, Essential Oil Blend.
- Amphigory IncenseCedar & Copal.
- New Age Web Works
New Age/Occult/Pagan/Wiccan supplies but also links, lists, web rings, online book of shadows and some of the most interesting stuff on the web. Organic & Wildcrafted Herbs, Wellness Consultations, Herbal supplies, Workshops. (Or you can go down this direction if you like)
Grimaldi's Copal with Tree Segment
Off the coast of Tanzania, we find a wonderful place with a substance that is almost amber, called copal. Copal is a few million years younger than true amber. (Although not the same as Copal Tree Resin Incense, its an interesting link to the past.)
RELIGIOUS USE OF INCENSE
SACRED INCENSE FORMULAS
Mythical and Mystical Trees
The Tree of Life II, Ceiba Tree of the Mayans